Saturday, May 23, 2020

My Continuous Journey to become an Yogi

( I will keep on editing this page adding with my new experiences with Yoga)

What I understood about Yoga as of now:
Yoga is a path for self realization. The self is a witness to your deeds. It always monitor you. To realize the self you need to calm down your chitta (Mind). The mind is occupied with lot of whirlpool of thoughts. Once those thoughts are reduced, one will get chance to realize his self.

What is the path to realize the self ?:

As of now I am thinking that Patanjali Ashtanga Yoga Path "Yama Niayma Aasana Praanayama Pratyahara Dharana Dhyana Samadhi" will help for self realization. Now I am practicing this path with the help of Videos and books related to Patanjali Ashtanga Yoga.

How I started showing interest on Yoga ?
India, the country I born is a birthplace for many Yogis. One can find an yogi for every 5 villages in this country.
In childhood I studied book about Sri Pothuluri Veera Brahmendra Swamy. In that book there were soma Aasanas. I tried to practice them few times in my childhood.
I used to worship him, but was not practicing Yoga-aasanas daily.
In 2002-2003 times I visted Guru Viswaspoorthi and understood about Pranayama. But did not practice daily.

From 2013 I seriously started exploring Yoga.

My Yoga Journey So Far from 2013:

I first started practicing yoga aasanas (Surya Namaskaras followed by Sirsha-Aasana etc..) by following the book "Yoga for Health & Personality" by G.Francis XaVier (available in Amazon now https://tinyurl.com/qr484vq). I purchased this book in a book store in MGBS-Hyderabad sometime in between March 2013 -May 2013.

My initial practice was 2 to 5 sets of surya namaskaras followed by Srisha Aasana practice with wall support and end with Sava Aasana.

With a practice of 3 to 4 days a week, after a couple of months I managed to do Srisha-Aasana(Head Stand) without wall support. It was a big achievement for me.

One day in 2014 I got back pain with a sudden awkward movement. With the help of Sirsha-Aasana I managed to heal it by meself.

Until 2015 my yoga practice was not very regular.Thanks to 24/7 support model rotational shifts. I used to skip it for some days, and re-start again after some self-motivation.

In March 2015, with god grace I switched my job and relocated to Bangalore for 9AM to 6 PM timings profile. I rented house in a walk-able distance to office. It helped me to save lot of time. With plenty of time in hand, I improved my aasana practice time by topping up few more aasanas (Sarvanga Aasana, Matsya Aasana, Hala Aasana, Chakra Aasana, Yoga-Mudra Aasana, Bhadra Aadana, Ardha Matsyendra Aasana, Paschimottana Aasana, Sava Aasana) gradually.

From May 2016 I got an opportunity to live alone for more than one year almost (Thanks to my wife for going to her home town to take her mother support during pregnancy time).

This was really golden opportunity for me to explore more on Yoga. One day I found details about a great yoga guru Sri T.Krishnamacharya(https://tinyurl.com/wpdem3h) and his book Yoga-Makaranda (https://tinyurl.com/tv53fet) in internet.

He contributed for the revival of Hath-Yoga with Vinyasa-Krama Yoga aasana practice. Reputed yoga teachers like Sri Pattabhi Jois and BKS Iyyengar are his successors.

With the help of below resources available in Internet, I started learning Vinyaya-Krama-Yoga.

Yoga Mala book and videos by Sri Pattabhi Jois
Sri BKS Iyyengar youtube videos
Yoga practice manuals from https://www.ashtangayoga.info/
Half Primary Series youtube video by Purple Yoga Center -Goa

With God grace, I am regularly practicing it.

My current practice is as follows:

Evening 7PM to 8:15 PM Yoga-Aasana Practice
Morning 15 minutes to 30 minutes Pranayama Practice

Apart from this I dedicate 30 to 45 minutes in morning for some work-outs.





No comments: